Edinburgh student chapter of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) was founded in September 2009 and is the second SIAM student chapter in the UK. We are jointly sponsored by Heriot-Watt University and University of Edinburgh, and have links with Maxwell Institute of Mathematical Sciences and (ECOSSE), both part of the Edinburgh Research Partnership in Engineering and Mathematics (ERPem).
We strive to
- promote interdisciplinary and multi-institutional exchange between students (graduates and undergraduates) and academics in applied mathematics, engineering and other branches of science.
- provide opportunities for student research and learning.
- advance the application of mathematical techniques to real world problems in science and industry.
Our current membership consists of students and academics from the Department of Mathematics at University of Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt University, and the Institute of Petroleum Engineering at Heriot-Watt University.
Other UK SIAM Student Chapters
- Oxford SIAM Student Chapter
- Manchester SIAM Student Chapter
- Reading SIAM Student Chapter
- Strathclyde SIAM Student Chapter
- Warwick SIAM Student Chapter
- Bath SIAM Student Chapter
- Cardiff SIAM Student Chapter
- Annual Edinburgh SIAM Student Chapter Conference (ESSCC 2013) will hold on 6th March 2013. The conference will take place at Lecture Theatre C, David Hume Tower, George Square, on 6th March 2013, starting at 9:00am. Click here for more information.
Our annual Edinburgh SIAM Student Chapter Conference (ESSCC 2012) took place at James Clerk Maxwell Building, Kings Buildings, on June 7, starting at 13:00. Click here for more information.
The Edinburgh SIAM Student Chapter AGM and Seminar by Gil Strang took place on 14th June 2011 at 11.00am.
Bubacarr Bah, President of the Edinburgh SIAM Student Chapter, has been awarded with the SIAM certificate of recognition for his work with the chapter. The certificate was presented to Bubacarr by Prof. Sebastian Geiger, shown here.
The Edinburgh SIAM Student Chapter Conference 2011 took place 1st February 2011. Click here for more information.
Bubacarr Bah represented the chapter and gave a presentation at the Siam Annual Meeting 2010 in Pittsburgh, USA. Slides can be seen here, and photos here.
The paper Improved Restricted Isometry Constant Bounds for Gaussian Matrices by Bubacarr Bah (Chapter Vice-President 2009/2010) and Jared Tanner has been selected to be one of the winners in the 2010 SIAM Student Paper Competition.
Chapter President Karen Schmid was awarded a certificate of recognition for outstanding efforts on behalf of the SIAM Chapter at the Heriot-Watt/Edinburgh University, academic year 2009-2010.
The joint entry by chapter members Claudia Fricke, Nneoma Ogbonna and Yan Zaretskiy on The Math Behind Oil Production won first place in the SIAM Math Matters: Apply It! contest for January 2010.
- The Chapter Inaugural Conference was held on 31st March 2010. For more information see the Events page.